Types of SEO in digital marketing
Before you start optimizing your site, it’s important to understand the various types of SEO available to your business. Understanding these different strategies and techniques will help you create a campaign that drives better organic results for your business.
Here are four main types of SEO techniques you will come across:
- White hat SEO techniques are the best way to improve your SEO ranking over time and optimize it. These are the tactics that Google recommends you use to help your site rank better in the results. They abide by Google’s search engine guidelines and drive positive results for your business.
These techniques include:
- Creating high-quality content
- Optimizing HTML
- Sharing on social media
- Making your site user-friendly
White hat SEO techniques take time to produce results. The results, however, are worth it. You will have lasting growth and continue to help your site perform better in the search results.
- Black hat SEO techniques exploit search algorithms to get higher rankings.
Some businesses use black hat SEO techniques because they drive fast results.
There are numerous tactics that fall under black hat: Link spamming,
Keyword stuffing,Cloaking, Hidden text/links, Using irrelevant, popular keywords, Over optimizing HTML headings, Copying content, Buying links
While these tactics do improve ranking, it does not last. Google catches on to these techniques and if you’re caught, search engines will punish your business and even ban your site from appearing in relevant search results.
- Gray hat SEO is the middle ground between white and black hat SEO. This technique isn’t quite good for your site, but it isn’t listed as bad.
These SEO techniques aren’t banned by Google. Gray hat SEO techniques are risky, but marketed as the “affordable solution.” Companies that offer gray SEO techniques reduce their costs because they are using questionable methods.
- Negative SEO is a unique situation for your business. It isn’t perpetrated by your business, but rather, someone else. You will see negative SEO scenarios between businesses and their competitors.
When you see a business using negative SEO, they are trying to hurt their competitors’ reputations.
There are a few strategies companies will use with negative SEO:
- Building unnatural links to a competitor’s site
- Posting negative reviews
- Hacking websites to modify content.